Sunday, December 21, 2008

Greetings!

Well, Sam and I don't normally put together a holiday letter, in fact we are really bad about sending out cards. It is not that we don't think of everyone and wish to reconnect, it is that time flies always!

This year we have been very blessed, as we are most years. Nothing big to recount for the blessing--perhaps that is why our lives are blessed. We are all happy and healthy. Sam and I will be celebrating 20 years of marriage in March! Boy, does that seem possible?

We are still running our consulting business. It has gone well this year. I am still programming, which I love. It is like solving puzzles and getting paid for it. Sam is building and maintaining networks and computers. Although he loves his clients, he would like to pick up one more in Tahiti I think. It would be tough to have to travel to their site! The economy is on our minds of course. We both try to be mindful of how lucky we are, especially in times like this.

Randy's has spent his first teenage year very successfully. He likes school, but really LOVES the learning. Although his grades are good, he doesn't feel compelled to get them as high as he can. He is spending a little time looking at high schools for next year. I CAN NOT believe that he is going into high school. This has been a process for all of us. Really, how does one select a high school? We will let you know when we finally arrive at how to do it.

He is keeping up with several activities that he has been involved with for several years--tennis and musical theatre. He is excellent at both, but I think he really loves them for the social side of the things. Randy has recently become interested in archery, so he is looking for local places to take lessons and practice. He also tried is hand at dog agility this year (actually has dabbled for a couple of years now). I love to watch him and his dog on course. Randy is so quick on his feet to recover when things don't go as planned. Not going as planned is par for the course. He also is so consistent in how he trains his dog. Those who have trained dogs know that this is not easy! I think now though Randy is going to take another break from agility.

Speaking of agility. I am still doing agility. I originally got into it since we had Border Collies and they needed "work". We now have two Border Collies (which I swore I would never have two and for a year we had three). They are VERY busy dogs. It is really good for me since it makes me get out and play and exercise every day. Tip, my oldest Border Collie (BC) and I have enjoyed some successes this year. We have won a couple of tournaments and placed 4th at National events. Fun to do well, but I really do it to play with my dogs. Again, it is like a puzzle--How do I tell the dog to do this, when I do that? Sense a theme yet for me? Yes, I love learning and being active. Split, the younger boy is just beginning his career. Training the second dog is probably like having a second child. You realize all the mistakes you made the first time around and try to do it better with the second. I expect great things from that little boy.

The dogs add a great deal to our lives, but I must admit they are completely my fault! If I had my choice I would be surrounded by animals.

Agility was a little challenging for me toward the end of the year. In September I was diagnosed with Graves' disease (Hyper-Thyroid). A hyperthyroid affects you in many ways, but the most notable for me was a really fast irregular heart beat, muscle weakness, and a foggy brain. This makes it quite challenging to walk up the stairs let alone trying to keep up with a dog that runs 7 yards per second on course. I had to back way off of things which KILLED me. Sitting on the coach and watching TV just isn't my style. I had my thyroid ablated in November and am hoping to be returning to my normal active self very soon. I am on my way, but not there yet! The silver lining in all of this was that I could eat ANYTHING I wanted. That is kind of nice to experience once in a life time. The long term of Graves is mostly that will have to be on thyroid medicine the rest of my life.

Now that the snow days are beginning to arrive in Colorado, I am beginning to get back into my pottery again. It is a good seasonal hobby 'cause you can only have so many pots around the house.

Sam had eye surgery this year to correct his strabismus; cross-eyed. In the evenings when he would get tired, or after looking at a computer monitor too long, his eyes would converge so that he would have double vision. He decided it wasn't a good idea to drive cross-eyed, and so had surgery in mid-August. Recovery took about 5 days, and he hasn't had any problems with double vision since. YEAH!

Sam has gotten into 4 Wheeling this year with the purchase of his new truck. It is a great hobby since it takes us to some really great places in the middle of nowhere (our favorite location). He is currently studying to get this Ham radio license. This will hopefully allow us to call for help from the middle of nowhere! We did a ton of camping this summer to really test out the truck (yeah that is it!). Probably the most notable camping trip was up to the flat tops of Colorado. This is between Meeker and Steamboat Springs. Spectacular! One of the pictures in Randy (red head) and two friends on the edge of the wilderness area there. Boy teenagers are fun!

My family is doing well. Dad is now 82 and doing fabulous. He does a lot of volunteer work around town and has a fairly good social life. He still travels quite a bit and is always planning his next trip.

Sam's parents are doing well. His dad has slowed down the activity this year, but his mom is going still going strong. She went on a trip to New York City this summer with a group of friends. They enjoyed the shopping and theater shows. But, she was glad to get back to a small town pace.

We hope that this note finds everyone healthy and happy. We look forward to hearing from you and of course everyone is welcome to visit.

Mary, Sam, and Randy

3 comments:

  1. Nice idea for sharing a holiday letter. Sounds like Randy is well prepared for high school, it's good to have things you're passionate about. Good luck to you all in 2009.

    (Are you going to keep blogging?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool idea. I like! Great alternative for keeping up with family. Glad things are going well and yes, we are all blessed to be happy, relatively healthy and have the love of our family.

    Boo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mary, great idea in fact ... and great to hear from all of you in this way.

    ReplyDelete